We’ve got some great ideas to keep children active in the winter. They can jump rope in the garage or work on their gymnastic skills on the jungle gym. My girls have been doing 100 jump ropes everyday…a little monetary incentive from grandpa doesn’t hurt either.
Do you have trouble sleeping? Grounding products can be very helpful by connecting us with the earth again using silver threads and plugging the blanket or mat in.
Berkey Water Filter
Berkey filters are my go-to at home and in the office, because they do a great job at removing most of the worst contaminants in our water supply at a very small price tag.
They don’t require electricity and don’t remove beneficial minerals from the water. Berkey water filters remove VOC’s, bacteria, glyphosate, chemicals, arsenic, fluoride (a fluoride filter removes arsenic & fluoride), chlorine, chloramines, nitrates, nitrites, parasites, and other heavy metals. I recommend getting the fluoride filter add-on if you are on city water.
Air Quality is so HUGE! Consider the following: When you turn on your furnace, air conditioner or exhaust fans, your home may become negatively pressurized, an effect that causes indoor air to suck in pollutants from basements, wall cavities, attics and crawl spaces.
TO PREVENT THIS, keep all interior doors open and crack one window on each floor when furnace or fans are running.
Sauna therapy has many benefits, including:
- Increased growth hormone
- Reduced protein degradation
- Increased insulin sensitivity, and increased brain-derived neurotrophic factors, crucial for brain health.
- Increased heat shock proteins that activate lymphocytes. The lymphocytes promote the synthesis of anti-cancer interferons to strengthen the body’s immune system.
Shop High Tech Health Saunas or call 800.794.5355 and receive a special discount when you tell them you were referred by Dr. Matt Angove!
Several leading doctors and scientists have stated cell phone radiation and radiation from other personal electronic devices is linked to Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease, behavioral problems, asthma, insomnia, autism, childhood obesity, cardiac stress, and ADD.
Here are some steps we can all take to reduce our exposure:
- Keep your phone and other devices on airplane mode
- Use your speaker phone and avoid direct contact to skin
- Keep your phone out of your pocket and clothing as much as possible
- Minimize your children’s exposure to electronic devices and try to create a zero direct WIFI exposure environment for your kids.
- Use a corded phone whenever accessible
- Avoid using your laptop or tablet on your lap
Since smart phones have become such a normal and expected part of life, getting a SafeSleeve is a great idea to further reduce exposure.
12 Days of Christmas WOD
1 100 meter run (50 steps in place)
2 devils press
3 shoulder press
5 pull ups, ring rows, bent over rows
7 power clean
8 dumbbell or soup can snatch
9 box jumps (chair step ups)
10 knee to opposite elbow
12 kettlebell, dumbbell or barbell deadlift
Once you complete the workout, make sure to get your recovery drink in within 20 minutes. Check out this video with a simple post workout smoothie, made with Goat Whey, that my daughter Liberty likes to make.
6 weeks to an unassisted pull up designed by Dr. Matt. Just think of the euphoria you’ll feel when you can pull yourself up without assistance. That’s functional fitness!
An easy way to get some movement in is by jumping rope.
Fits well in a carryon too, allowing you to stay fit while traveling.
We love this water bottle because it’s glass with a silicone protection as well as time markers to remind you to drink your water.
Did you sign up for the pull up progression above? If so, you may want to check out these bands to help you develop the strength to work up to an unassisted pull up.
Sign up for FREE daily workouts to your inbox HERE!
Food + Drink
One Degree– We love this brand! Their oats are glyphosate free & organic.
Chosen avocado oil– Avocado oil has a high smoke point so it’s a good oil to cook with.
Alter Eco Dark Chocolate– when it comes to chocolate, it’s important to
get one that has equal fiber and grams of sugar as well as one that is 85% cacao or higher.
Almond flour– A great substitute for regular flours to make a recipe grain-free.
Primal Kitchen– We use many of these products, but some of our
favorites are the mayo and chipotle lime mayo as well as using the buffalo sauce for chicken.
Frontier turmeric or cinnamon– We like to buy our spices in bulk cinnamon and turmeric in particular. We refill small glass spice bottles.
Frontier has high quality standards and is organic.
Redmond Real Salt– This salt is unrefined with nothing added or
removed, and it’s mined in Utah. Sodium gets a bad rap, but real salt is
actually needed by your body.
Cacao powder– Replace your Hershey’s cocoa powder with REAL cacao
powder. You can add it to protein balls, smoothies, or make a healthy
version of hot chocolate.
Coffee actually has health benefits, but it’s important to use a quality coffee. We love Purity coffee because it’s mold free, organic, & their decaf is swiss water processed. Use code: DrMatt for 20% off & FREE shipping.
The convenience factor of the single serving packets make this tea one of our favorites, not to mention it goes through a triple toxin screening, it’s organic, and it’s packed with phytonutrients. Use code DrMatt for 5% off.
A good substitute for coffee, Dandy tea is naturally decaf and detoxifying. It also has essential minerals in it and can be enjoyed hot or iced.
Ever considered what you cook your food in? There you are making a healthy meal, but cooking it in toxic pots and pans which negates all your valiant health accumulation efforts. Unfortunately, most cookware is filled with unwanted toxins such as heavy metals, and chemicals called Perfluorooctanoic(PFOA) or Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE).
Thankfully there’s a solution! You can cook a healthy meal and know that you’re getting all the nutrients and none of the chemicals.
Personally, I recommend 360 Cookware. Not only is it made in the USA, but it has a waterless cooking method which maintains the flavor. Read all about it here. They’ve been gracious enough to extend 20% off to you! Use code: AccumulateHealth at checkout on 360Cookware.com.
After trying all the high powered blenders out there, I’ve yet to find one that blends, and crushes ice as well as the Ninja. Once you try it, you won’t go back. Plus, the single serving cups make whipping up smoothies so convenient.
Wet Sock Treatment
- 1 pair of cotton socks
- 1 pair of thick wool socks
- 2 sets of sweats or pajamas
- Soak a pair of cotton socks in water, wring out and place in freezer.
- Drink a concentrated ginger tea. Take a hot bath for 5-10 minutes.
- Dry off.
- Place ice-cold socks on feet. Then cover with thick wool socks. Put on the first set of pajamas. Go directly to bed. Place the second set of pajamas next to the bed. Avoid getting chilled.
- Wear the socks overnight. During the night, you may wake up drenched in sweat. If so, change into the dry pajamas, but leave on the socks. You will find that the wet cotton socks will be dry in the morning. To see the wet sock treatment in action, check out this video by my wife and daughter.
Pneumonia is the #1 cause of premature deaths among healthy and immune compromised people. Our lungs are always in contact with our external environment which can make us extremely vulnerable to pathogens. We need mucous to trap and move pathogens out of our lung tissue.
However, sometimes this mucous mover gets overwhelmed and we are not able to clear these secretions. Nebulizers can be a game-changer because it gets medicine directly to the lung tissue. I suggest a nebulizer that you can hold over your nose and mouth, so you can fully breathe in the medication through your diaphragm. I recommend this nebulizer machine.
Immune Boosting Supplements
Along with nebulized medications, having immune boosting supplement on hand can help you overcome any breathing issues quickly.
This kit contains 3 products to help strengthen weak enamel and whiten teeth.
My kids love using this toothpaste and I love it because it’s fluoride free, doesn’t have foaming agents and helps to remineralize their teeth.
Dr. Ama’s favorite natural, paraben free mascara. It’s a primer on one end with mascara on the other. It’s also budget friendly!
A lightweight, breathable foundation with hyaluronic acid to help with elasticity. Plus it’s all natural!
An overnight resurfacing peel and a vitamin C serum. Both Dr. Ama and I use the vitamin C serum to reduce dark spots and keep our skin looking fresh.
Nasal breathing has been shown to increase nitric oxide production by up to 25%. Nitric oxide promotes blood flow, improved memory, cell to cell communication and general cardiovascular wellness.
Nasal breathing promotes oral health. A dry mouth from mouth breathing promotes cavities because our teeth are not being bathed in saliva throughout the night as they should be. Saliva enables tooth remineralization and optimal oral pH.
- Mouth breathers are more like to have sleep disorders and attention hyperactivity disorder.
- Nasal breathing freshens our breath.
- Nasal breathing positively changes neurochemical dynamics in our brain making sleep more restorative and enhancing overall well-being.
- Broccoli sprout seeds
- Add 3 tablespoons of broccoli sprout seeds to a container such as an Easy Sprout Sprouter.
- Cover with filtered water.
- Let sit all day or overnight.
- Tap to get rid of water.
- Wait about 3-4 days until you see bright green sprouts.
- Fully rinse.
- Remove floating seeds hulls as much as possible.
- Spin in an herb spinner to get rid of excess water.
- Store in a salad spinner.
Dr. Ama’s Homemade Granola
- 1 24oz bag of glyphosate-free thick sprouted oats (One Degree brand)
- 1¹/₂ cups sliced almonds
- 1¹/₂ cups pecans
- 3/4 cup grass-fed butter melted
- 2 TBSP vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup organic large unsweetened coconut flakes (Trader Joe’s)
- 2 heaping TBSP of Ceylon cinnamon (Frontier brand)
- 1/4 cup organic maple syrup
- Mix all together and bake on 2 large cookie sheets covered in parchment paper. If your cookie sheets are new then you don’t really need parchment paper.
- Bake at 275 for 1 hour, mixing every 15 min so it doesn’t burn. Add to yogurt and berries.
Dr. Ama’s Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup mustard
- Dash sea salt and pepper or 1/8 tsp of HerbaMare
- Combine ingredients together.
- Store in fridge, use as much as needed. We carry HerbaMare at the office or you can find it at Whole Foods or online at http://www.herbamare.us.
- 1/2 cup organic Tahini
- 2 Red peppers
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 large bunches of really curly organic kale
- Blend all ingredients except kale in blender or food processor.
- Wash and spin kale and tear into bite-size pieces.
- Massage tahini blend into kale.
- Place on parchment-lined dehydrator rack and sprinkle lightly with Herbamare or sea salt.
- Set dehydrator at 105 degrees for about 14-16 hours.
Chocolate Protein Balls with Goat Whey
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 scoops of Chocolate Goat Whey
- 2 TBSP cacao powder
- 2 TBSP peanut butter
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 TBSP water
- Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, except the chocolate chips, and stir together until dough forms.
- Roll into bite size balls & then roll in chocolate chips.
- Freeze for 20 minutes and enjoy!
Peanut Butter Cookies
- 2 scoops Vanilla Goat Whey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup peanut butter or nut butter of choice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all ingredients together and roll into balls and then flatten balls with a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Pumpkin Goat Whey Smoothie
- 1 cup unsweetened nut milk
- 1 small sliced frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen cauliflower rice
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 TBLS peanut butter
- 2 scoops vanilla Goat Whey
- Add a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon & salt
- Add ice
- Add all ingredients to the blender except the Goat Whey.
- Blend until smooth and then add the Goat Whey and blend for 10 seconds.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top and enjoy!
Accumulating health is not only about your physical health, but also about learning and growing in all areas of life so you can live optimally. These are a few books I’ve read in the last year that have made an impact on me and my family.
The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson
Breath by James Nestor
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
Seven Men and Seven Women: And the Secret to Their Greatness by Eric Metaxas
Mindset by Carol Dweck
The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy
The Toxin Solution by Joseph E. Pizzorno
Deep Nutrition by Catherine Shanahan